Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Patience is a virtue...that I don't have

It’s been almost a week of my “new me” regime, and I am facing my first hurdle. I want results. Now. I am borderline obsessed with seeing a difference in my body. I’ll do a sit up, check for abs. Do a sit up, check for abs. Nothing.

My Mom always said patience is a virtue that I lack.

I read in a medical journal (okay fine, I read it on Pinterest) that it takes four weeks for you to see your body changing, eight weeks for your friends and family, and twelve weeks for the rest of the world. I can hear my mom’s voice in my head saying “See? I told you to be patient.”

But being patient when you’re trying to get your body into shape is difficult. Who wants to get sweaty and push themselves for no results? Why run today when I won’t notice it tomorrow? I was asking myself this specific question while I was putting on my running shoes yesterday and I had my epiphany. If I don’t run today, I’m not going to run tomorrow, or the next day. And in 6 months I’m going to go through another “poor fat me” phase and start this whole process over. Or I could go run today and in six months maybe my body will be where I want it to be.

Like this












Well maybe not like that.

So I’m making a decision that’s out of character for me: I’m going to listen to my Mom’s voice in my head. Instead of looking in the mirror after a workout, or a billion times a day, I’m trying to focus on how my body feels. Although I get winded pretty quickly during a working, I do have more energy during the day and I’ve been sleeping better at night. Plus after I run or walk I don’t want to let my body down by eating a greasy cheeseburger, so I’m being inspired to eat healthier as well.

I’ve heard of people taping inspiring quotes to their mirrors, ceilings, refrigerators, etc., and I love that idea. For me simple pictures of me from a year ago are inspiration enough, but I suggest you do whatever it takes to stay focused.




No comments:

Post a Comment